DISSENSION -> Jailhouse Rock

Add Reply
New Poll

Jailhouse Rock, Alistair, Rosabelle
25 | Magical | Unaffiliated
Rosie, Belle
Journalist Baltimore it's complicated Played by Cadie
shipper dragots 2600

In the sweltering heat, Rosabelle Walker stepped off the motorboat. She squinted against the glare of the sun, her destination — New York Penitentiary for Witches and Wizards— ahead. She spotted the brown turrets and grey chimneys. From a distance, it looked to be a relic from the Antebellum North. The prison was nestled in the middle of a primeval forest of browns, and greens and there was a single beaten road. A lone metal sign stood with a single white arrow pointed up. Rosabelle suddenly felt alone. She glanced over her shoulder at the retreating motorboat and the lapping waves of blue-grey breaking on the stone shore. It was too late to regret her decision. She got to walking.

Rosabelle felt a dull pulse of happiness when she realized how short the walk was. Less than ten minutes and more than five, she stood in front of the prison. Using her smartphone, she took a couple of photos of the outside. Faded and battered, and grey it looked less like the home of some of the most infamous and dangerous Maj criminals and more like a dated fortress on its last leg. Rosabelle frowned, she was doubtful that inside it would be any better. Not quite an advocate for prison renovation, she thought that they could at least spruce their appearance.

And she was right. Inside was no better. Her frown dug deeper when she saw the grey room filled with ripped sofas and rusty metal chairs, heard the wheezing death rattle of the hidden air conditioner, and felt the obnoxious way the lightbulbs coalesced into one, somehow harsher than the sun outside.

Still, Rosabelle went forward.

“I'm Rosabelle Walker,” Rosabelle said to the stout man behind the thick window. “The journalist from the Wicked, here to interview the inmate ___” She slid her I.D. and wand through small space provided. The stout wizard did not make pleasant conversation. He waved his wand, thick and short as him, over hers checking to see her spell records. Satisfied, he gave Rosabelle her I.D. back and a sticker name-tag imbued with the prison’s magic signature. Though he kept her wand, the policy was a wand and any personal items aside from her recording device, and money for the snack machines would not be allowed during her visit and would be returned after visitation.

Rosabelle listened to a short lecture on what she could and could not do before she was allowed to pass from the reception area into the actual prison. The door to the prison was opened. There was a single strip of yellow tape on the floor, Rosabelle assumed she was to follow. She did until she came to another stopping point, Thief’s Downfall written in bold lettering on the wall. Rosabelle gasped when freezing cold water was dumped on her. Her thoughts skittered to a stop.

“What the hell?” She had not expected that. At. All.

“You’re clear,” she heard from above.

Sopping and affronted, she resumed following the yellow line. With each step she took, she felt herself getting dryer. Her appearance turning back to what had been before. She assumed there was some type of magic in the place for an informal clean up after her impromptu shower.

Abruptly, the yellow line tapered off. There were two prison guards, and a young man. Tall and lean, he was pale with a head full of dark hair and dark eyes. He was objectively handsome, but a handsome face did not erase the prickling inside of her. She had thought she had seen the last of this man during graduation.

This was her fault, coming back into the Maj world meant she would have to deal with its people.

“Andrew,” Rosabelle said. She had remembered how much trouble he had caused while at Ilvermorny. She had stayed far, far away from him. Rosabelle had no tolerance for troublemakers, then as she did. However, she was taught to be cordial even if she did not care for the person. "How are you today?" TAG ALISTAIR DUVALL

May 26 2018, 11:54 PM
25 | Magical | Unaffliated
Alix
Journalist Seattle, Washington Dating Played by Topher
shipper dragots 2800

This was a mistake.

He couldn’t believe how he had ended up in here and what with them he was Andrew concocting some sort of well-thought out lie. “Well-thought-out is still clearly not in Andy’s vocabulary…” He had been thrown in here ‘awaiting trial’ by a MACUSA judge. His thoughts went out to Cordite who had had to watch him be dragged away by the Patrol. And they had chosen not to listen to him. To be honest he was trying to take the same line with listening to his brother: But it hadn’t worked yet. Apparently, his brother had skipped bail again. He hadn’t had to get him out of jail this time so he guessed that he had convinced some poor smuck to stump up the dosh and then he had gone and done a runner and not come back for a particular necessary court date. He breathed heavily as he looked around the blank four walls of his cell. Then a flap opened and a voice outside spoke: “Duvall, you have a visitor…”. He was led out of his cell towards a visiting area and was directed to stand between two guards. As the visitor walked in he breathed a sigh of relief. He waited before the guards backed off a bit. “Rosie, do you remember Andy had a twin at school?”

Alistair didn’t know if she’d remember him. As a Wampus, he hadn’t known her well, but she was virtually his only hope of explaining that Andy had a workaholic twin that virtually hadn’t had a run in with the Patrol so wasn’t on their radar. “I guess they were after Andy…I can’t believe it I was in the middle of an interview and they just came along and arrested me… They wouldn’t listen.” He spoke in hushed tones to keep the guards from dragging him back to his cell. They had confiscated his wand and other personal belongings that could probably prove his innocence and put them in a holding safe. Supposedly. He stopped himself before he got any louder, after all he was meant to be good at listening. As he listened he noticed that something else was going on and could only watch as one of the prisoners was dragged away from his visitor by the guards. “You’ve got to get me out of here…” He said sounding increasingly panic stricken. It wasn’t like he was worried about what they would do here. It was more about getting a lawyer, more about what if the judge didn’t believe him either. It was ultimately about getting out. Plus there was his whole job on the line scenario: He hoped he could spin this into a story.

TAG ROSABELLE WALKER

May 27 2018, 02:50 PM
Rosie, Belle
shipper dragots 2600

Stiffening with the nickname, Rosabelle waited until the guards had given them space to talk. An illusion of privacy in a place where privacy was a privilege.

“My name is Rosabelle. Do not call me Rosie as if I am one of your friends; I’m not,” Rosabelle said flatly. She did not appreciate his approach, calling her out here in an attempt to get out of his mess than having the audacity to talk to her any old kind of way.

She looked at the man anew. She had forgotten. Andrew had a little twin brother named Alistair. Andrew eclipsed Alistair by way of his antics. Andrew was a bellicose boy in painful need of home training. It was hard to remember his brother that remained in the shadows until it was time to clean up Andrew’s messes. Like, at this moment. Rosabelle was tempted to end this meeting, let Alistair learn a lesson about his brother, his family. Rosabelle did not suffer the fool, and it seemed like Alistair was content to do so.

He still calls him Andy.

“Look. Take a breath, calm down. I can't understand you when you are like this,” Rosabelle said. She waited. “Now, what is it you want to me do?” She had been taught how to be direct, unconcerned with what happened outside of her focus, giving her full attention to what was in front of her.

Rosabelle knew an Auror, she knew a cop, and she knew a handful of other people. However, she was unwilling to call on any of her connections for someone that she barely knew. More to the point, someone that still called their brother by an affectionate nickname while they weathered their shitstorm. Rosabelle did not take chances on rot and the possibility of it infecting not only her, but others as well.

“Were you read your rights, have you contacted your lawyer, or anybody that can establish a solid alibi---, oh, me,” Rosabelle said, she felt a throbbing headache come on. “You want me to establish an alibi for you?”

Alistair and her had been spending a lot of time together, much more time than they ever did in Ilvermorny. She owed their relation to the story they had been working on, chasing down magical creature advocacy groups. They had surged in activity since the downfall of MACUSA. She had wanted to know if the magical creatures were Grindalwaldian, Loyalist, or some other third nebulous group. Rosabelle had learned how the majority of creatures had sided with Voldemort in the late 90s across the pond. She thought of the same phenomena happening here. Alistair thought similarly. It was only reason that explained why Alistair had been up her ass lately, showing up in spaces where he had sense to be otherwise. Therefore, she could vouch for him.

Any lingering genial feelings she had had for Alistair Duvall were appropriately crushed.

"Bold of you to assume that I would help," Rosabelle said, Searching Alistair's face. She did not so easily get into other people's messes, especially not friends unless it was worthwhile. "What will I get in return?"

TAG ALISTAIR DUVALL

May 28 2018, 01:33 PM
Alix
shipper dragots 2800

“You want me to establish an alibi for you?”

He missed everything else as she hit the nail right on the head. Someone had to prove that he wasn’t Andrew. Someone that had a certain distaste for his brother, more than he, himself did. And plus, he had been working on their story, interviewing a potential source when the Patrol had ambushed him. With all the work they had been doing on their joint story it was fair to ask that she give him the alibi that he needed to get out of here. After all it wasn’t like Katie or Jackson were around to help him out.

“What will I get in return?” It was coarse and demanding. He stopped himself turning her away. He was immediately regretting calling another journalist. Why didn’t I call someone…anyone else? Alistair knew he didn’t really have that option. “You can have the story.” That was him. Possessive, but there was a line. And being wrongly accused and left in a jail was that line. But the thing was that Andrew probably didn’t realise his twin was in jail. Or maybe that was a weird hope in Alistair’s head. But now he would have to give away the story he had worked on, the one that was rightfully half his. He guessed that he would just have to go to Vivi to get an interview with one of her bandmates to placate his editor. “And trust me I don’t feel bold. I just couldn’t think of anyone else as I was being thrown in jail… so are you going to help me? Or have I got to ask him,” He tilted his head towards the guard. “For another phone call…” His voice trailed off, he had got past pleading. Journalists for all their competitiveness were meant to help each other out. And if it meant making sure that one particular reporter didn’t end up in a cell for the rest of his life then so be it.

He remained leaning forward. The chair carefully on all four legs so it didn’t tilt, but the seat was made of plastic so it was hardly made for comfortable lounging. He looked around – Alistair didn’t often panic, not about many things, but for some reason the prospect of being labelled as his brother was probably one of the things to make him panic. But it wasn’t like he could’ve called Andrew, after all as a point his twin made sure that Alistair didn’t have his latest number, therefore making communication an impossibility.

TAG ROSABELLE WALKER

May 28 2018, 04:52 PM
Rosie, Belle
shipper dragots 2600

Try harder.

“I can have the story regardless. I don’t need your permission,” Rosabelle dismissed coldly. She did not need him to put her name on a project she had worked on. If Alistair stayed in prison, a problem of his own making, then she would get top-billing and Alistair might get a posthumous mention. She would be fine with that.

“I will not trust you,” Rosabelle corrected. “You don’t call your other family members, but you call me without telling me any details, like the name of a lawyer, or any important people to contact. You have boldly assumed because we worked on an unpublished story that I would pull your ass out of the fire.”

The casual way he sat in his chair tickled something nasty in her. She could not stand the attitude. It told her he did not take this seriously, so why should she?

Clearly, Rosabelle had not been given Alistair a proper introduction. It was her fault he took such liberties with her. First, the nickname. Second, calling her into the mess. Third, having the gall to try and play on her heartstrings. Rosabelle Walker had a low tolerance for games. She had no problems with leaving Alistair to sort his problems. She would lose no sleep if he was kept in prison.

Rosabelle walked forward, her steps were measured, the click of her heels the only sound in the room. She got close as she was able. Her fingers threaded together.

“I am not your ride-or-die. I am not your baby mama. I am not your fairy godmother that will fix your mess. If you aren’t going to pull your own weight, I don’t see why I should save you from your own incompetence.”

She tilted her head to the same guard Alistair had done moments before. “Go ahead and ask him for another phone call. I hate wasting time and so far, Alistair, you have wasted mine.”

This was his choice to make. She waited for the verdict. For him to either give her something, or for him to dismiss her. She was prepared for either decision.

TAG ALISTAIR DUVALL

Jun 19 2018, 10:09 PM
Alix
shipper dragots 2800

Think quicker.

He stopped himself from laughing, he couldn’t appear smug, after all he was the one in jail here. The young journalist guessed his former writing companion had forgotten that the majority of the story that she assumed she could just put her name on was back at the Ghost. Or at least his version of it. But he wasn’t about to remind her of that right about now. “Why would I call my own family? It’s clear that they are either too busy or wouldn’t be able to look after a paper bag let alone come and get me out of jail.” He sighed. Like everyone she wanted something. “Ride or die… baby mama? And trust me I’ve never had a fairy godmother…” When she gave him an ultimatum he knew that he had to cough up, but part of his brain was screaming why should he? Why should he give up something that he had worked so hard for?

He had been under the impression when they had been at school together they had been friends. Not close, but friends. But as she spoke harshly to him Alistair guessed that they had all been a lie. He thought about what he could offer her. Money, a necklace from his mother that was hung around his neck, his soul, journalist connections… his mind moved quickly. It had to, what with Rosabelle’s ultimatums floating about like summer clouds. Alistair disliked her ultimately cocky attitude: After all she had come when he had called. “What about an interview with my sister? Right now it’s all I have, thanks to Andrew I have no money, I have a small apartment that barely gets cleaned because I work all the hours I can, so as you can probably guess I’m not rolling in it. So if you want to take everything, make me feel like an idiot… you win… I’ll get you an interview with Vivi…” Any sensible journalist would know his sister after all her band had sky-rocketed since he had made sure she had gone to that audition. But she may not, or she may not care… Heck she may just even leave him in jail just to spite him. Then he would have to call Katie. Like that time back in school.

TAG ROSABELLE WALKER

Jun 26 2018, 02:48 PM
Rosie, Belle
shipper dragots 2600

Rosabelle got results.

There was an edge to Rosabelle’s lipped smile. She had taken everything from him, had she? Alistair complained about his lack of family and money, but when the going got tough suddenly he had his sister in his corner and assets in hand. Rosabelle had a knack for bringing out the best in people.

“That will do,” Rosabelle said. “I’m guessing the reason why you’re stuck in here is you lack money for the bond.” She was not an expert in legal proceedings. Journalism required she’d become a jack of all trades. Likely Alistair had been arrested, given a set bail amount for a common misdemeanor and since he did not have the money, he was left to sit in jail until he brought before a judge. Legal proceedings had been slow before MACUSA fell. She imagined it was a standstill now.

“Do you have someone to pay it for you?" Rosabelle asked. She did not think he did. Alistair's family could not take care of a paper bag and his true friends seemed nowhere to be found. Evident by the way he turned to her in his hour of need. "I could pay bail for you and you will be processed tonight or tomorrow, but I expect to be paid back in full in addition to the interview with Vivian,” Rosabelle said.

Shifting her recording device to her other hand, Rosabelle pressed it against her chest. There were more choices before Alistair like finding Andrew and an attorney to represent him. Of course, he needed her to establish a credible alibi. Rosabelle inhaled. Her glare had not lessened in the handful of minutes they had been talking.

“I think we’re done here, Mr. Duvall?” Rosabelle raised an eyebrow. Unless he had another ridiculous request.

It had been some time since she and Alistair spoke outside of work. It felt good to remind Alistair where exactly he stood in relation to her. Perhaps, next time he would remember to address her as Rosabelle and they’d start off on a better foot.

TAG ALISTAIR DUVALL

Jul 10 2018, 12:11 AM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll